“Can you promise me that there won’t be any more?”
That was my son’s question as we got ready for bed last Friday night. (For my out-of-California readers, we had a couple of big earthquakes here last week.)
As I gave Ryan his nightly hugs and kisses, he asked me to promise him that everything was back to normal. I couldn’t promise that.
He asked me to promise him that if there were any after-shocks they would be too small to feel. I couldn’t promise that.
But I did promise Ryan the most important thing my husband and I have always promised him – to do everything we can to always keep him healthy and safe.
Throughout the night, I peeked in and watched Ryan sleep. And I thought about how much of his life, and my life, is out of my control.
I can’t make promises about earthquakes.
But, I absolutely can make these promises to my son:
1. I promise to always regard you with a mix of awe and wonder.
2. I promise to always have chocolate in the house.
3. I promise that we will never run out of toilet paper.
4. I promise that our family will always have money to buy books.
5. I promise I will always cry at certain parts of certain movies (splash-down in Apollo 13 and the” there’s-no-bathroom-for-me-here” scene in Hidden Figures).
6. I promise I will always yell at the TV when we watch basketball games.
7. I promise to always attend your school functions including performances, conferences, and Back-to-School nights.
8. I promise to always print out pictures, maintain our family photo albums, and periodically update the pictures on our refrigerator.
9. I promise I will always feel colder than you and will annoy you when I ask you, again, if you’re warm enough.
10. I promise that long after you’ll probably want them, I will still always have an endless supply of hugs and kisses.
4 thoughts on “10 Absolute Promises”
These are great. And for some reason my kids get a kick out of me crying during movies.
Thank you! Just like when they were babies, we’re sometimes much more entertaining to our children when we’re not really trying.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Your posts make my eyes tear and my heart sing. You have such a glorious way of seeing the world and of finding just the right words to share your perspectives with others. I feel so privileged to have access to these posts…
Zhita, thank you! I love your poetry “my eyes tear and my heart sing.” That’s lovely! Thank you for your support!